Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Lexapros and Cons by: Aaron Karo

Goodreads Summary: 


Chuck Taylor’s OCD has rendered him a high school outcast. His endless routines and habitual hand washing threaten to scare away both his closest friend and the amazing new girl in town. Sure he happens to share the name of the icon behind the coolest sneakers in the world, but even Chuck knows his bizarre system of wearing different color “Cons” depending on his mood is completely crazy.

In this hilariously candid debut novel from comedian Aaron Karo—who grew up with a few obsessions and compulsions of his own—very bad things are going to happen to Chuck. But maybe that’s a good thing. Because with graduation looming, Chuck finds himself with one last chance to face his inner demons, defend his best friend, and win over the girl of his dreams. No matter what happens, though, he’ll have to get his hands dirty.







My Review: 




ReadingNook Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Chuck Taylor is unlike any other YA character i've ever read. He's cynical and real and I felt like I was really inside a teenage boys head the whole time I read it especially certain parts (aka the first line of the book). Theres simply not enough YA books with a male main character, either that or I'm just not reading them.

I loved Chucks character he was a bit nerdy but in the cutest way possible, you felt for chuck and his best friend, and the nerdiness that ensued between the two of them. I loved that Chucks OCD wasn't a woe is me situation. He struggled but learned to cope with it, the emotions and reactions he had felt real and not forced like many books dealing with mental illness feel like to me. OCD and any psychological disorders is an important topic to discuss in YA books, because although its not talked about very openly many teens and adults deal with anxiety and depression and many other psychological disorders. I love that Aaron Karo's POV was so real and he didn't romanticize it or make it this huge catastrophy.

Chucks love interest with the new girl Amy was so freakin' cute, I love that he loved her and that she loved him back. It was super swoon-worthy and made you root for Chuck even more that he would get the girl in the end (NO, i'm not telling you if he does, this is a spolier-free review)

All I have to say is that Aaron Karo's debut novel needs more praise because this was a fantastic book. The book was humourous, fun, at times sad, and just gripping from the very first line (ummm yes the FIRST line) Aaron Karo is definitely an author to keep an eye out for, and this is a book you definitely need to get your hands on.

1 comment:

  1. Great review Laura, I've seen this one around too, I'm sure eventually I'll read it. If my tbr stack ever gets down :)

    ReplyDelete