Thursday, February 16, 2012

Graphic Novel Review: Friends with Boys by: Faith Erin Hicks

Goodreads Summary: 


A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist! 

Maggie McKay hardly knows what to do with herself. After an idyllic childhood of homeschooling with her mother and rough-housing with her older brothers, it’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. But that means facing high school first. And it also means solving the mystery of the melancholy ghost who has silently followed Maggie throughout her entire life. Maybe it even means making a new friend—one who isn’t one of her brothers. Funny, surprising, and tender, Friends with Boys is a pitch perfect YA graphic novel full of spooky supernatural fun.









Expected Publication Date: February 28th, from First Second
Pre-order: Here!!!


My Review: 

ReadingNook Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

This was my first graphic novel that i've ever read, and to be honest I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had a physical copy opposed to reading an ARC galley on my nook, that I recieved via Netgalley. The format was a bit screwey, with about 10-20 pages of words and then the corresponding pictures after that, which in my opinion took away from the overall effect of it, and through no fault of its own, I felt like I had a different experience then most people because of that.

I did enjoy the story though, The main character Maggie was adorable in my opinion, and I loved her three older brothers. I felt like that they made the story what it was. Maggie had been homeschooled her whole life, and now that she's in highschool she is no longer being homeschooled but needs to move on and go to public school which means she needs to make friends, and become a part of a society that she knows nothing about.

Maggie also has a secret, she see's a ghost, and has for many years. This ghost dosen't scare her, but she dosen't quite understand why its there. This book overall was a quick, and fun read. I just don't know if I got the full experience I would have from reading a physical copy versus a e-book version, that had a bit of a weird format.

No comments:

Post a Comment