Sunday, November 20, 2011

Just Contemporary Month Review: If I Tell by: Janet Gurtler















ReadingNook Rating: 5 out of 5 stars



I've heard nothing but good things about Janet Gurtlers novels, and now I know why. I could not put this book down, it grasped me from the very first page and didn't drop me off until the very last word. 

Jaz Evans was raised by her grandmother and grandfather. Her Mother was a teen mom and decided that she'd be better off with her parents until she could get her life together. But Jaz's mom never seems to get it together, and Jaz is still living with her grandparents, which is probably for the best, until Jaz learns that her mom is pregnant again, with her boyfriends baby, and only a day prior Jaz saw her mom's boyfriend making out with her best friend at a party, so what should she do? Should she tell her mom and potentially leave her baby brother or sister in the same situation she was in, fatherless and with a mother who can't handle it alone? or should she keep it a secret, and have it eat at her day in and day out?

This book was unlike anything else i've read, I really connected to Jaz's character, and felt she was a strong and likeable character, and I loved her new friend/potential love interest Jackson. The characters in this novel were strong and compelling. The topics that were discussed throughout the pages were important and unique. If you haven't read a Janet Gurtler novel as of yet, you need too. I can't wait to get my hands on I'm Not Her, which is her other novel.

3 comments:

  1. I want to read this book sooo badlyy! And now that youve loved it, that just makes me want to read it much much more!
    Thanks alot for the lovely review!

    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love this one, but I was actually really surprised by how much I did like it. I usually have rather strong black and white feelings about certain issues, but this one left me feeling a bit gray.

    Although, I was incredibly relieved to realize that Jaz's best friend was over 18, because that was something I was really worried about before I read it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound good and compelling. It also hits some very important issues. Great review girl.

    ReplyDelete